Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Vege Patch

I have just renewed my membership to The Diggers Club for the next 5 years.  They are a plant catalogue mob here in Victoria.  They have a house and garden with restaurant that you can visit, eat in, look around the yard, buy seeds/plants. 

I also bought from them 3 lots of different bean seeds, some heirloom carrot seeds and some pink flower seeds.  The flowers will go in the main front garden beds and should self seed each year.  Years ago I had the same variety but in blue and it kept coming up for years afterwards - in all sorts of spots too.

In looking at my current vege beds the pea seedlings I put in are doing nicely.  I have added some marigolds in amongst them.  I have no idea if they will be helpful to the peas.  They will probably be swamped by them and kark it.

 
I also planted out 3 Grosse Lisse Tomatoes - bought these from my local supermarket for $1 each (they were trying to get rid of them.  I also put some marigolds with them too.  These have all been planted in amongst the pansies.  Hopefully the pansies will give them a bit of protection until they get going.

The capsicum (bell pepper) plants seems to be getting eaten by something.  I have lost 1 that I know of.  I don't think it is snails - the bed they are in is heavily mulched with straw and has no overhanging vegetation in which they could hide.  Will have to keep any eye on them.

Did I tell you that I have finished mulching all around the 6 vege beds??  I think it looks quite good - nice and neat and tidy - at least for the moment.

 
The paler coloured mulch is euci mulch, the darker mulch is fine pine bark mulch.  I went with this one for the rest of the area due to the cost - the pine was a good $1.50 cheaper per bag than the euci and it seem to spread further and thicker too.