Thursday, September 19, 2013

Vege bed numbers 5 and 6

Earlier this week I filled up one bed with compost, manure and soil.  I also got 4 circular frames for $5 each - I thought was a good bargain.

Bed #5 has 2 frames in it on the south side closest to the cars and I have put in some bean seeds around them.  The rest of the bed will get carrot seeds.  I'd show you a pic but we all know what dirt looks like, don't we.

I have some left over potatoes from last year that were really too small to cook.  I will put these in with the capsicums.  Hopefully they will do their thing and give me some bigger spuds.

I have noticed that birds are loving the damp soil and are scratching the straw all over the place.  A couple of peas have been eaten and so has 1 more capsicum.  I found a slime trail so the culprit is snails.  I know exactly how to fix them - bait.  I thought the last lot of bait I put out would have done the trick.

The weather here has been cold and wet this week.  Great for the garden as I don't have to water, but it means I have less chance of getting bed #6 filled.  Early next week is supposed to be dry so I should be able to do it then.