Tuesday, September 24, 2013

I have Worms!

So that probably sounds really wrong and is something you think I shouldn't let the blogosphere know.  But seriously I have worms!

Ok, not the sort that a dose of medication will fix.

I have compost worms!  There, that does sound better.

500 live wriggling compost worms.  Not many I know, but money is a bit tight and that many is all I can afford right now.  If I have to I may get another 500 in a couple of months.

Apparently there are eggs in with them and I have heard/read that worms breed quite quickly, so maybe I won't have to but more.

For the moment they are happily (I hope) in their new home.  I have laid down some newspaper and some paper that I sprinkled water onto to make it moist.  I also added a thin-ish payer of potting mix for them to spread out into.  They also have a blankie to keep them warm and in the dark.  Though I spose the lid on the plastic tub will do that job.

I am going to let them settle in for the day and give them their first 'meal' later today after I have cut up veges for our dinner.

I love new pets....


The other day I planted out some small potatoes that were left over from last year that were too small to cook and eat.  I noticed today that I have 2 spud plants that have self sown from the compost/soil/straw mix that I tipped out into the pansy bed - this mix was what I used to grow spuds in last year.  It will be interesting to see what happens with these.  I must remember to pile up some dirt/manure/straw around them.

Today I put out some carrot seeds - for want of a better word for it.  These are Heirloom Carrots and apparently are different colours - purple, yellow, white as well as the usual orange.  They are in with the first lot of beans.

I also got 2 trough pots and planted out some Sweet Peas - just for a bit of extra colour.