Monday, September 02, 2013

New Vege beds

Yesterday was Father's Day.  I managed to get hubby to mow the grass - he's not really into celebrations of any kind.  Birthdays, anniversary's, you name it he basically don't care.

Whilst mowing the grass of the front lawn, he also removed all the grass around the 4 vege beds I have out there.  I asked him to do this over Easter - took him this long to get around to it.  He cut it down to the dirt - which is good; but he removed the mulch I had around 1 bed - which is not good.  I really don't understand why he does things like that.

I got up this morning and put together the 2 new vege bed frames I bought on Saturday.  Cut my finger in the process.  They got put in place and then I set up the garden edging I bought a while ago to define my vege garden area and the car parking.  Went to the garden centre and bought some mulch and some sugar cane straw. 

The new beds got cardboard and paper on the bottom and that is covered with the straw.  I have spread what mulch I bought around these and half way around the next 2 beds.  I need to go buy about 6 more bags of mulch to finish off the job.  That's on the agenda for tomorrow.


I think the car needs to be moved back a bit too.

On Saturday I also bought some vege seedlings and put them in - peas and capsicum.  So far the birds haven't dug them out.


You can just see the peas in the back left hand bed around the frames and if you look real close you can see the capsicum in the far right bed.  This is now full all the way across and mulched with straw.  Need to decide on what I am going to plant in that half.  I did spy a vacant part of the main front garden bed that could be a good spot for pumpkins........