Sunday, September 09, 2012

MMMM Caake...

Found a new recipe the other day and so far have made it three times in the past 2 weeks.  It's a whole orange cake.

Very rich, not too orangey with a crsip outside.  Would be really nice iced - if I could be bothered and could keep the vultures, um family, away from it long enough.

The recipe came from a book I purchased after seeing there were 28 people waiting to get their hands on it at my local library.  The books called Down to Earth and was written by a Queensland lady called Rhonda Hertzel.  You can read her blog here - probably find the recipe too.  She talks about all sorts of things relating to trying to live a simpler life.

So back the cake.  The first one I made was with 2 mandarins that were in desperate need of being eaten.  Popped them in the food processor and set it going, and going, and going.  My food processor does not have a chop blade, only a mix blade so it took some time for the mandies to be in small enough bits.  Added the eggs, butter, sugar and flour and set processor to mix again.  Turn the mix out into a lined and greased loaf tin, cooked for 35 minutes.  Deliciously mandarin taste.

Then next one was a pineapple one - used some left over crushed pineapples.  Also nice with a slight pinapple flavour.

This lastest one, the orange one, has butter that I actually measured - I didn't measure with the other two - not margarine which I used for the other 2.  I also used the blender to break down the orange not the food processor.  I think is too buttery, so next time I will cut down on the amount used.