Thursday, September 01, 2011

Vege Garden

Just spent the last 2 1/2 hours putting together 4 metal garden beds, and starting to set up a no-dig garden in each of them.  The beds went together quite easily - all I needed was a screwdriver; easy to find in this house.

I ran out of lucerne hay, manure and straw for the beds.  Will have to get 1 more lucerne bail, another 2 bags of manure and 2 more straw pallets.  Then I need to figure out what I am going to put around the beds to cover up the grass that is there - I have put these on my front lawn!  I may get a large pallet of straw and scatter that around thickly, though that may cause problems with other things growing from the straw seeds.

So when they are full with hay, etc. I am going to plant broccoli, capsicum, pumpkin, cucumber, zucchini, maybe some poppies or native everlasting daisies just to make the beds 'look nice'.

Sunday's plan go pushed to Monday - sorted out 4 pots and planted some carrot seeds in one of them.  Pulled out most of the weeds down the sideway - I just left them on the garden bed to break down.  I still want to raise that bed up a bit for some more veges.

This morning before starting on the new garden beds, I put potting mix into 3 more pots.  These pots have rods and wheely things to make towers.  In 2 of these I put some sugar snap peas, 8 seeds in all.  So hopefull;y we will have some peas to eat over summer.  If they germinate well I will seriously think about putting in some more.  I also watered some jiffy peat pellets so I can start some toamato seeds for the other tower pot.

I'm off to have a shower - I smell like manure!