Friday, August 26, 2011

Garden

I just had a look down our north sideway - ugh, what a mess.  It has not been looked at over winter and boy does it show.

The weeds are HUGE, the plants cover the path nearly and there's lots of leaf litter under the olive tree (I think that's what it is).  Time to get my butt into gear.





Moved and weeded the poor strawberry plants.  I still have 3 of them, though 1 looks a bit sick.  Gave them all a good drink and moved them to the front of the house where they will get some sunshine.  It looks like I may have another one growing in an abandoned pot; the one I was going to use for carrots.  I found some more pots too up near the front gate that still have mix in them.

So the plan for Sunday is this......
  • Get those pots and dig around in them to find any left over roots.  Remove said roots, add some manure, extra mix and water well then let sit for a week.  Then I will plant some carrot seeds.
  • Put a few tomato seeds into the jiffy pots.  I might do 2 or 3 pots and see how they geminate.  I think if they go well I should probably do 2 or 3 every month - that should keep us in tomatoes.
  • Pot up the Cat Grass for the moggies.
This is after I've done the ironing and come home from the competiton in the morning.

I should also rip out as much of the weeds in the pavers as possible.  One weed is a rather large thistly prickly thing - need gloves or a spade (or both) for that.  The leaf litter I want to keep - it will go in the vege garden bed I intend setting up.