Friday, August 05, 2011

Vegetable Garden

So the other day I went online to a gardening website and joined up.  This will give me 2 years of magazines - 12 in total - full of gardening advice and seeds/plants to purchase.  I also bought a collection of 9 different varieties of seeds to plant out.  There is broccoli, pumpkin, melons (don't know what sort) tomatoes, peas, lettuce, capsicum and onions.  Apparently using these 9 packets I can produce over 100kg of produce.

Now the next part is to figure out just where I am going to plant them.  I have been thinking about this for a couple of years now and I believe the best place is in the front yard!!  I know hubby will NOT like this at all, but if I do a small bed out there that should not look too messy.

I think I have a plan - 1 raised bed in the top end of the front lawn that is 1.2m x 1.2m,
                                            only 30cm high
                               - 1 raised bed out the back against the back fence that is 2m
                                             x 1m, needs to be 40cm high to keep dogs off it
                               - and a final one down the side against the house that is .5m
                                            x 3m, 40cm high

This last one could possibly be put on the existing garden bed, then it only needs to be 30cm high, but it won't be 3m long.

Each bed I want to do as a no-dig-garden - I think I will be raiding the supermarket for carboard boxes, and maybe the newsagent for old newspapers.

Hope my seeds turn up soon.........