Tuesday, September 06, 2011

vege garden update

Saturday night was really windy.  Things were blowing around all over the yard.  I thought I would lose my pea seeds that I had left outside, it was that windy.

Pea seeds were just where I left them when I checked the side way in the morning - phew!  The only 'damage' was my mini glasshouse was tipped over and on the ground and the plastic cover over the cat grass seeds had blown off.  So no realy damage to speak off.  A few sheets of paper from the one new bed that did not get the lucerne/manure/straw treatment had blown out too.

So I put the paper back in and covered them with the lucerne.  It was rather wet lucerne and had started to decay in parts - is this a good thing? - who knows.  I also fixed up the mini glasshouse (it's plastic btw), put the cat grass into it and put some seeds into the peat pellets that had fallen out of it; then watered the whole lot.  So now I have tomato seeds in 4 peat pellets, capsicum in another 4 and broccoli in the last 4.  And I put the glasshouse on the ground...

Yesterday Hubby was mowing the front lawn.  He commented to me that I had made it very hard for him to do that.  Like duhhh.  I told him, yes I know that and the plan is to put a barrier of some sort - wood, bricks,etc - across in front of the new beds for him to mow up to and then I was going to mulch around the beds.  He obviously thinks I did not think of the grass getting mowed!!  But I noticed, apart from  the smell of the wet lucerne, a lot of flies buzzing around the new beds.  I think I may have to set up a fly trap.