Tuesday, September 20, 2011

gardening

Had another storm last night - lightening, thunder, the works.  Largest dog was running around the house like a luantic - he hates loud noises!  Lying in bed listening to the rain pelt down I wondered how my freshly planted seeds were going - would they get washed away; would the potting mix be pushed around and leave the seeds to air; would nothing happen?

Checked them this morning - it seems the rain has pushed the potting mix into the straw.  I haven't gone digging through it yet to see what has actually happened - a bit wet still - but that is on the agenda when the rain stops.

I think I have decided what to use as an edge around the new beds.  Hubby wanted me to use treated pine sleepers - cheap and will not rot away.  After some investigation that will NOT be happening - they are still treated with copper arsenate - no way am I having that stuff near my vege gardens.  So I have decided on a plastic bordering product that comes in 5m and 10m rolls.  I'll get the green one, I think, that is 20cm high, maybe 10m of it.  Not sure how it stays upright - I presume some sort of spike goes into it at the back.  If that's the case I will have to watch where I put the spikes - we have under ground sprinklers in the front grass.  I'm sure hubby will not like me puncturing those lines.  What I don't use out the front I can use to make a taller garden bed out the back for the Sunflowers.  May even get a 5m roll for the garden bed down the side.......