Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Eating our own produce

Not that we have been doing a lot of that.  The odd handful of peas before Christmas, the even less frequent handful of beans since Christmas.

We should do well with the tomatoes though.  The bushes are huge and there is even fruit on them.  Maybe I should have staked them up and even done some tip pruning - but oh well.  Now to wait for the fruit to get bigger and to start to ripen.  I will have to keep a close eye on them as lots are hidden under leaves.

What I have picked though is Rhubarb - my first ever large fistful.  Didn't think to take a photo of it before it got cut up and cooked.  Some of the stems were easily 45cm long.  The variety I have is a green stem variety.  I am thinking I will get 2 more that have red stems.   Here it is all cooked and waiting to be eaten. 

 
I had an order for peach cobbler too.  So it got made with apricots 'cause that's all I had in the cupboard.  Here's the last of it on the left of the plate.  On the right is home-made granola topped with my rhubarb.  A more delicious breakfast I have not had in ages.
 
 
The granola (or muesli if you want to call it that) is a mix of rolled oats, corn flakes, rice puffs, desiccated coconut, chopped peanuts, dried pineapple, dried cranberries and honey.  I put it in the oven for around 20 minutes - minus the fruits - to get the honey to mix up a bit more.  It is quite nice.  Next time I will try to use shredded coconut instead and will crush the corn flakes slightly.
 
 
I am also playing with making my own sourdough bread.  This is my starter that I put together today.  It's 1/3 cup flour, 1/3 cup water, 1/3 tsp sugar and a tiny bit of dried yeast.  This will sit on the bench covered with a tea towel for 3 days before I add some more flour and water to make a loaf of sourdough bread.  I should end up with enough for 1 loaf and a bit more starter.
 
I am using a recipe/method from Linda at Greenhaven - here's hoping it works.