Thursday, January 30, 2014

Sourdough bread

Yesterday I posted a pic of the sourdough bread starter I had put together.  Well this is it today......


It has lots of little bubbles and appears to have risen and then sunk.  As far I have read it is supposed to do that.  It smells quite fermenty too - not a word I know - and that is a good thing.

So my next dilemma is what now.  The 'recipe' says to leave it sit for 3 days but other makers of sourdough say it needs to be fed.  The recipe says that too but does not say when or how to feed my starter.

I have pondered this all morning and decided to give it a bit of a feed.  It is only a small starter (1/3 cup flour, 1/3 cup water) and I would like to be able to make a loaf of bread with it on the weekend, so I think it needs a bit of bulking up.  To that end I have added in 1/6 cup flour and 1/6 cup water and given it a good stir.  I will do the same again tomorrow but add in 1/2 cup each water and flour.  That will give me 2 cups of starter which will be enough for a loaf of bread or 2 - I think.