Friday, October 05, 2012

Vege Patch 2012

Today I finally got around to mostly sorting out the front yard vege patch after winter.  The grass around them was clipped down and then put into the beds.  I think this will be ok and will provide some green manure.  After all it all breaks down in the compost bin doesn't it? 

I have 2 beds nearly ready for some seeds to go in.  They still need another layer of compost and straw and then they'll ready.  The other 2 beds have yet to be redone - they both have flowering poppies that were planted last year growing strongly.

I will put in tomatoes, pumpkins from some seeds I saved from bought one, zucchini again and broccoli.  Maybe some capsicum too - if the seeds germinate.  I received the tomato seedlings the other day so they need to be planted out soon too.  I want to try doing one upside down and still need to find a place to hang it.  Maybe on the clothesline in the centre.

I also got my corn seeds.  These I will plant out at the end of the month into filled cardboard boxes.  Since they take only 12 weeks from planting to harvest this should not a problem, at least that's what I hope.  I think I will put these out the back along the fence - hopefully the dogs won't dig into  them.

My planted out potatoes seem to be doing their thing.  The seed spuds are anyway.  The couple I kept from the supermarket have yet to rear their heads above the dirt.