Saturday, February 25, 2012

Challenge

Today I re-read parts of my $21 Challenge book.  I will again do this challenge.  Last time I did it, I only spent $6.80 on feeding the family for the week.  Yes you read right - $6.80.  I went through my pantry, fridge and freezer and found that I had enough food stashed away to feed us (5 adults) for the week and only had to purchase some fresh veges. 

I feel it's time to do it again. 

Not because I have a pantry full of food that I want to get rid of, but that it is a worthwhile exercise.  One that I hope to do on a regular basis.  The best part is having meals planned 1 week in advance - no getting to 5pm and wondering what on earth I will cook for dinner.  I put the menu planner on the fridge so the others in the house know what's for dinner (if they care to look that is).

There's not a lot in the fridge and I have yet to check out the pantry or freezer, but there will be enough I am sure of it.  It was quite weird not going to the supermarket 2 or 3 times during the week last time I did this.  I felt quite proud of myself in keeping away.  I should take note of how much I save when doing this and write it down somewhere so that at the end of the year I can see how much I actually saved ov a long period of time.  It's all well and good to say 'I saved $100 on groceries this week', but to put into perspective on an annual basis would be enlightening.