Monday, August 15, 2016

Spring Prep 2016

Spring will be here in 2 weeks - we are getting a taste of it this week with temperatures in the mid to high teens.  Along with spring comes my annual "I must do something in the garden" urge. After much deliberating over winter as to what to do in the backyard I have devised a plan.

After we ripped out the trees in one of the back yard garden beds I layed down a heavy load of sugar cane mulch in the attempt to keep weeds out of the bed.  I will say that I am quite surprised that it worked as there have been very few weeds come up.  This is what is used to look like with the trees still in it.......

It's a bit hard to see as the bed in question is behind the daisy things in the foreground, but you can see 2 trees, a dog house and a shrub.

Today it looks like this.......


That's where the dog house was.  This is the rest of the bed......


I uncovered the bricks along the path and relayed the upright bricks the other day.

In the car waiting to be gotten out is some bags of euci mulch that will be going on the path and some garden edging that will be going in around the edge of the garden bed.  The edging is more like a short fence that will hopefully keep the dogs out of the bed as I intend on putting in vegetables. One of the edging pieces will be used a 'gate'.  I hope I have some pavers left to use as stepping stones in the bed.